FWIW: you can typically put that kind of stuff in a portion of your .bashrc
that is only invoked for interactive logins.  I.e., the automated ssh's that
OMPI's mpirun won't invoke those commands because they're non-interactive
logins.

I'm a tcsh user myself, so I don't know the appropriate mojo offhand to detect
interactive vs. non-interactive bash logins, but I'm sure it exists.