Am 25.01.2011 um 20:10 schrieb Will Glover:

> Thanks for your response, Reuti.  Actually I had seen you mention the SGE
> mailing list in response to a similar question but I can't for the life of me
> find that list :(

The list was removed with the shutdown of the open source site by Oracle,
moving GridEngine to pure commercial product. But as you might know, Univa
stepped in and we will see some findings shortly...

For now you can check Markmail: http://gridengine.markmail.org/ or an unindexed
archive at http://arc.liv.ac.uk/pipermail/gridengine-users/ It's a bit hidden
in http://arc.liv.ac.uk/pipermail/gridengine-users/2009-December.txt (search
for cutting) or http://arc.liv.ac.uk/pipermail/gridengine-users/2010-July.txt
(search for varying) There is also another solution explained using a load
threshold.

(dynamic MPI-2 tasks shorter than background jobs: use the solution with
different nice values,
background jobs much shorter than the MPI-2 tasks: get rid of these background
jobs by a load threshold and drain them)

> As for using the background queue, just to clarify - is the idea to submit my
> parallel job on a regular queue with 100 processors at nice 0

yep

> , but allow other 'background queue' jobs on the same processors at nice 19?

yep

>  Presumably, I'd still need mpi-2's dynamic process management to free up
> processors when they are not needed (at the moment, they use 100% cpu idling
> in MPI_Recv for example).

When they are really idling at 100%, then you are correct, and you have to
release them by an MPI-2 call.

>  Did I understand you correctly?

yep.

This way you will minimize the otherwise wasted computing time and avoid idling
cores.

-- Reuti