Prentice Bisbal wrote:
Jeff Squyres wrote:

Can you put together a small example that shows the problem...
Jeff,

Thanks for requesting that. As I was looking at the oringinal code to
write a small test program, I found the source of the error. Doesn't it
aways work that way.

Not always, but often enough.

George Polya was a mathematician who spent much time trying to understand problem-solving techniques, leading for example to his book, "How to Solve It."  It contains the line:

"If there is a problem you can’t solve, then there is an easier problem you can solve: find it."

For most of my life, I remembered that line incorrectly, but I prefer my version:

"If there is a problem you can’t solve, then there is an easier problem you _can't_ solve: find it."

When we try to produce the simplest version of the problem we can't solve, we often solve the problem.