Paul and I have been talking about the below issue and I thought it would be useful to update the list just in case someone else runs into this problem and ends up searching the email list before we actually fix the issue.

The problem is OMPI's configure tests to see if -lm is needed to get math library functions (eg ceil, sqrt...). In the case that one is using the Solaris Studio compilers (from Oracle) and one passes in the -fast option via CFLAGS the -lm test in configure will turn out false because -fast set the -xlibmopt flag which provides inline versions of some of the math library function. Because of that OMPI decides it doesn't need to set -lm for linking.

The above is problematic when configuring with -with-lsf because the lsf library libbat.so has a symbol of ceil that needs to be resolved (so it needs -lm in the case of Studio compilers). Without the -lm the configure check for lsf fails.

There are several work arounds:

1. Put LIBS="-lm" on the configure line. The compiler still will inline the math function compiled in OMPI but linking of the ompi libs with lsf libs will work because of the -lm.

2. In the CFLAGS add -xnolibmopt in addition to -fast. This will turn off the inlining and cause OMPI's configure script to insert -lm.

3.  Don't use -fast.

--td