David, are you saying your jobs consistently leave behind session files after the job exits? It really shouldn't even in the case when a job aborts, I thought, mpirun took great pains to cleanup after itself. Can you tell us what version of OMPI you are running with? I think I could see kill -9 of mpirun and processes below would cause turds to be left behind.

--td