Hello Ralph,
I've some questions on placement and -cpus-per-rank.

First, use the --cpus-per-rank option to separate the ranks from each other. In other words, instead of --bind-to-socket -bysocket, you do:

-bind-to-core -cpus-per-rank N

This will take each rank and bind it to a unique set of N cores, thereby cleanly separating them on the node.

Yes, it helps a lot, but the placement arranged in this way is still not optimal, I believe. The cores are assigned from 0 on in incremental order. On a 2-socket, 12-core machine:
(0,1,2,3,4,  5[,12,13,14,15,16,17])
(6,7,8,9,10,11[,18,19,20,21,22,23])
 ^cores^         ^hypercores^

running 2 processes with 5 threads lead to this:

0 <#> linuxbdc07.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE <#> physcpubind: 0 1 2 3 4
1 <#> linuxbdc07.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE <#> physcpubind: 5 6 7 8 9
(not used cores: 10, 11; not used hypercores: 12-23)
That is, there is an MPI Process bound to core 0 (which is sweet-pot for may kernel things), and the threads of the 2nd process are spawned over both sockets.

- is there a way to say to the system to spawn the processes (= slot chunks defined by -cpus-per-rank N) over the sockets in round-robin model? - is there a way to say "do not use this core number!" in order to add some alignment in core numbering?
- in there a way to use the hypercores in company with the real cores?

And last but not least, I found out that the starting and running the program on differing hardware is problematic.

Trying to start 2-rank, 5-thread on 2x6 core computer from my 4-core workstation, I get the below error message.

Seem that the calculation of core numbers / pinning determination is a part of *mpiexec* process instead of being run on the target node? *puzzled*

$ mpiexec -np 1 -H linuxbdc01 -bind-to-core -cpus-per-rank 5 ompi_testpin.sh MPI_FastTest.exe
Your job has requested more cpus per process(rank) than there
are cpus in a socket:

  Cpus/rank: 5
  #cpus/socket: 4

Please correct one or both of these values and try again.

$ ssh linuxbdc01 cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l
24

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l
4

Best,

Paul

P.S. Using Open MPI 1.5.3, waiting for 1.5.5 :o)

P.S.2. any update on this? http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2012/01/18240.php

P.S.3. on the same 16-way, 128 core hardware as in P.S.2, also -cpus-per-rank goes crazy:

$ mpiexec -mca btl_openib_warn_default_gid_prefix=0 -np 2 -H linuxbcsc21 -bind-to-core -cpus-per-rank 5 --report-bindings ompi_testpin.sh MPI_FastTest.exe [linuxbcsc21.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE:106342] [[55934,0],1] odls:default:fork binding child [[55934,1],0] to cpus 1000100010001 [linuxbcsc21.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE:106342] [[55934,0],1] odls:default:fork binding child [[55934,1],1] to cpus 20002
0 <#> linuxbcsc21.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE <#> physcpubind: 0 16 32 48
1 <#> linuxbcsc21.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE <#> physcpubind: 1 17

So, -cpus-per-rank 5, but one process get 4 cores, the other one - only two..

What you can do is "entice" it away from your processes by leaving 1-2 cores
for its own use. For example:

-npernode 2 -bind-to-core -cpus-per-rank 3

would run two MPI ranks on each node, each rank exclusively bound to 3 cores.
This leaves 2 cores on each node for Linux. When the scheduler sees the 6 cores of your MPI/MP procs working hard, and 2 cores sitting idle, it will tend to use those 2 cores for everything else - and not be tempted to push you aside to gain access to "your" cores.

HTH
Ralph