Actually, he should leave the ":$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" on the end. That way
if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is already defined, the Open MPI directory is just
prepended to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Omitting ":$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" from his
command could cause other needed elements of LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be lost,
causing other runtime errors.

--
Prentice