I see the issue - it's here:

>   MPI_Attr_get(MPI_COMM_WORLD, MPI_UNIVERSE_SIZE, &puniverseSize, &flag);
>
>   if(!flag) {
>       std::cerr << "no universe size" << std::endl;
>       return -1;
>   }
>   universeSize = *puniverseSize;
>   if(universeSize == 1) {
>       std::cerr << "cannot start slaves... not enough nodes" << std::endl;
>   }

The universe size is set to 1 on a singleton because the attribute gets set at
the beginning of time - we haven't any way to go back and change it. The
sequence of events explains why. The singleton starts up and sets its
attributes, including universe_size. It also spins off an orte daemon to act as
its own private "mpirun" in case you call comm_spawn. At this point, however,
no hostfile has been read - the singleton is just an MPI proc doing its own
thing, and the orte daemon is just sitting there on "stand-by".

When your app calls comm_spawn, then the orte daemon gets called to launch the
new procs. At that time, it (not the original singleton!) reads the hostfile to
find out how many nodes are around, and then does the launch.

You are trying to check the number of nodes from within the singleton, which
won't work - it has no way of discovering that info.