what isn't working is when i fire off an MPI job with over 800 ranks,
they don't all actually start up a process

fe, if i do srun -n 1024 --ntasks-per-node 12 xhpl

and then do a 'pgrep xhpl | wc -l', on all of the allocated nodes, not
all of them have actually started xhpl

most will read 12 started processes, but an inconsistent list of nodes
will fail to actually start xhpl and stall the whole job

if i look at all the nodes allocated to my job, it does start the orte
process though

what i need to figure out, is why the orte process starts, but fails
to actually start xhpl on some of the nodes

unfortunately, the list of nodes that don't start xhpl during my runs
changes each time and no hardware errors are being detected.  if i
cancel the job and restart the job over and over, eventually one will
actually kick off and run to completion.

if i run the process outside of slurm just using openmpi, it seems to
behave correctly, so i'm leaning towards a slurm interacting with
openmpi problem.

what i'd like to do is instrument a debug in openmpi that will tell me
what openmpi is waiting on in order to kick off the xhpl binary

i'm testing to see whether it's a psm related problem now, i'll check
back if i can narrow the scope a little more