I would be disappointed to see the Windows support go away.  I use it
mostly for debugging, but it's valuable to me for that purpose.

- Jeff Cummings

From:   Durga Choudhury <dpcho...@gmail.com>
To:     Open MPI Users <us...@open-mpi.org>
Date:   12/07/2012 11:33 AM
Subject:        Re: [OMPI users] Windows support for OpenMPI
Sent by:        users-boun...@open-mpi.org

All

Let me reiterate my (minimal, compared to other developers) support to the
OpenMPI project. If all it takes is to build and run regression tests on a
platform to add a feather in the cap, I am willing to do it.

The low interest in Windows platform does not surprise me; most HPC
infrastructures use a Unix-like setup, and those few who do use Windows
likely use Microsoft's own HPC server and MPI stack rather than OpenMPI.

That said, I believe that we should continue supporting Windows for this
one reason, if nothing else: since Windows comes preinstalled on all PCs,
new entrants to the field of computer programming are starting on a
Windows based machine. By providing Windows support for OpenMPI, we will
make the project accessible to the younger generation and ensure they
adopt it when they enter the work force. That is another reason that makes
me think that just because few people asked for it explicitly, few people
are actually using it, as the newbie types usually do not make explicit
requests.

Thanks
Durga