Oddly enough, adding this debugging info, lowered the number of processes that can be used down to 42 from 46. When I run the MPI, it fails giving only the information that follows:

[root@compute-2-1 ssh]# /home/apps/openmpi-1.6.3/bin/mpirun -host compute-2-0,compute-2-1 -v -np 44 --leave-session-attached -mca odls_base_verbose 5 hostname [compute-2-1.local:44374] mca:base:select:( odls) Querying component [default] [compute-2-1.local:44374] mca:base:select:( odls) Query of component [default] set priority to 1 [compute-2-1.local:44374] mca:base:select:( odls) Selected component [default] [compute-2-0.local:28950] mca:base:select:( odls) Querying component [default] [compute-2-0.local:28950] mca:base:select:( odls) Query of component [default] set priority to 1 [compute-2-0.local:28950] mca:base:select:( odls) Selected component [default]
compute-2-1.local
compute-2-1.local
compute-2-1.local
compute-2-1.local