On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 07:00 -0800, Ralph Castain wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2013, at 6:52 AM, Ake Sandgren <ake.sandg...@hpc2n.umu.se> wrote:

> >> It should be using PMI if you are directly launching processes via srun,
> >> and should not be using hier any more.
> >
> > Shouldn't the grpcomm pmi component be turned on by default then, if it
> > is needed?
>
> It should be

Well, it isn't :-)
configure says:
--- MCA component grpcomm:pmi (m4 configuration macro)
checking for MCA component grpcomm:pmi compile mode... dso
checking if user requested PMI support... no
checking if MCA component grpcomm:pmi can compile... no

> > So what is the real problem here?
>
> Do you have PMI installed and running on your system? I think that is the
> source of the trouble - if PMI isn't running, then this will fail.

Not sure what you mean here. slurm's pmi module is available (and Intel
MPI can use it if i point it to it).

Anyway, I think that if there is code that tries to use the hier
component it shouldn't have been removed.