On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:18:02AM -0800, Ralph Castain wrote:
> All we do is import the ROMIO distribution, so I'm afraid you'd have to make
> that request of them.

You rang?

ROMIO parses filenames, as the quoted standard suggests it ought to.
If it finds a : it parses the preceding string as a "file system
type".  That's usually short like "ufs" or "nfs" or "bglockless" but I
guess we wanted to be able to support one day
"someresearchfswithacrazylongnamefs" .

Fear not: easy workaround is to just use that file system type prefix.
ROMIO will stop parsing after finding the first colon.  You can put
colons galore in the file name after that first colon. so
"ufs:p:a:t:h:a:l:o:g:i:c:a:l:f:i:l:e:n:a:m:e.c will work.

We ran into this in pnetcdf land where as you can imagine colon could
show up when you store timestamps in the file name:

http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/parallel-netcdf/browser/trunk/README#L19

(That note went into the README in June 2005.  I guess I should have
done a better job advertising that ROMIO er, "quirk"? in the
intervening seven (!) years. )

==rob