On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Brian Budge <brian.bu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that yes, you have to compile enable-mpi-thread-multiple to
> get anything other than SINGLE.

I just tested that compiling with enable-opal-multi-threads also makes
MPI_Init_thread return MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED.
Does enable-opal-multi-threads have any performance impact? According to
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2012/10/20587.phpenable-mpi-thread-multiple
has significant performance impact (at least for
IB). But I couldn't find any description of whether this is also true for
enable-opal-multi-threads.

Also why is enable-opal-multi-threads required for MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED? This
was asked before (e.g.
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2010/05/7900.php) but I
couldn't find any answer. What does the option change? The README
states: "Enables
thread lock support in the OPAL and ORTE layers.", but that is not very
useful for a user. Also why is it not enabled by default?

Roland