I'm surprised that there are users still reporting issues getting this to
work, but as I'm still seeing notes in the digest I wanted to share (what I
believe the issue is) and how I've fixed it.

If you don't take special measures, OpenMPI will be dynamically linked and
have runtime dependencies on several of Intel's .so files.  However,
passing LD_LIBRARY_PATH has an option on mpirun is often not sufficient
because the orted process itself has these dyanmic dependencies... so when
you invoke mpirun, it fires up and launches orted on the remote hosts (with
the intention of passing LD_LIBRARY_PATH or whatever to the remote process
but the remote process immediately fails because it cannot resolve its
dependencies (and LD_LIBRARY_PATH is never setup on the far side).

So I see two options:

1) linking orted statically.  (Not sure if I've ever done this)

2) Passing an rpath in your openmpi link options so that oreted can resolve
its own dependencies without needing an LD_LIBRARY_PATH

You can do #2 by using something similar to the following on your configure
line

./configure --prefix=/path/to/where/to/install/openmpi
LDFLAGS="-Wl,--enable-new-dtags
-Wl,-rpath,/path/to/intel/compiler/lib_directory"

-Alan

--
a...@madllama.net http://humbleville.blogspot.com