On Mar 14, 2014, at 10:18 PM, Jianyu Liu <jerry_...@msn.com> wrote:

>>> Both - ip over ib looks just like an Ethernet adaptor
>>

>> To be clear: the TCP BTL will use all TCP interfaces (regardless of
>> underlying physical transport). Your GigE adapter and your IP adapter both
>> present IP interfaces to>the OS, and both support TCP. So the TCP BTL will
>> use them, because it just sees the TCP/IP interfaces.
>
> Thanks for your kindly input.
>
> Please see if I have understood correctly
>
> Assume there are two nework
>   Gigabit Ethernet
>
>     eth0-renamed : 192.168.[1-22].[1-14] / 255.255.192.0
>
>   InfiniBand network
>
>     ib0 :  172.20.[1-22].[1-4] / 255.255.0.0
>

> 1. If specified '--mca btl tcp,self
>
>     The control information ( such as setup and teardown ) are routed to and
> passed by Gigabit Ethernet in TCP/IP mode

Not necessarily - the out-of-band (OOB) system will pickup one of the TCP
interfaces, but which one depends on the ordering in the kernel.

>     The MPI messages are routed to and passed by InfiniBand network in IP
> over IB mode

Not necessarily - could use either device

>     On the same machine, the TCP lookback device will be used for passing
> control and MPI messages

I believe the TCP BTL would use the selected device for loopback, ignoring the
loopback device

> 2. If specified '--mca btl tcp,self --mca btl_tcp_if_include ib0'
>
>     Both of control information ( such as setup and teardown ) and MPI
> messages are routed to and passed by InfiniBand network in IP over IB mode

No - control info is sent by the OOB, not the BTL. To get what you describe,
you would have to add "-mca oob_tcp_if_include ib0"

>     On the same machine, The TCP lookback device will be used for passing
> control and MPI messages

No - the TCP MPI messages would loopback via the ib0 device

> 3. If specified '--mca btl openib,self'
>
>     The control information ( such as setup and teardown ) are routed to and
> passed by InfiniBand network in IP over IB mode

Not necessarily - same answer as #1

>     The MPI messages are routed to and passed by InfiniBand network in RDMA
> mode

Well, it will use IB, but may not use RDMA. That is an internal decision tree
made per-message based on a variety of factors

>     On the same machine, the TCP lookback device will be used for passing
> control and MPI messages

No - you excluded TCP for MPI messages, and so it would have to loopback within
the IB stack. Control messages would loopback via TCP

> 4. If without specifiying any 'mca btl' parameters
>
>     The control information ( such as setup and teardown ) are routed to and
> passed by Gigabit Ethernet in TCP/IP mode

Not necessarily - same answer as #1

>     The MPI messages are routed and passed by InfiniBand network in RDMA mode

Same as #3

>     On the same machine, the shared memory (sm) BTL will be used for control
> and MPI passing messages

Not for control - just for MPI