On 04/08/2014 05:49 PM, Daniel Milroy wrote:
Hello,

The file system in question is indeed Lustre, and mounting with flock
isn’t possible in our environment.  I recommended the following changes
to the users’ code:

Hi. I'm the ROMIO guy, though I do rely on the community to help me keep the lustre driver up to snuff.

MPI_Info_set(info, "collective_buffering", "true");
MPI_Info_set(info, "romio_lustre_ds_in_coll", "disable");
MPI_Info_set(info, "romio_ds_read", "disable");
MPI_Info_set(info, "romio_ds_write", "disable");

Which results in the same error as before.  Are there any other MPI
options I can set?

I'd like to hear more about the workload generating these lock messages, but I can tell you the situations in which ADIOI_SetLock gets called: - everywhere in NFS. If you have a Lustre file system exported to some clients as NFS, you'll get NFS (er, that might not be true unless you pick up a recent patch) - when writing a non-contiguous region in file, unless you disable data sieving, as you did above. - note: you don't need to disable data sieving for reads, though you might want to if the data sieving algorithm is wasting a lot of data. - if atomic mode was set on the file (i.e. you called MPI_File_set_atomicity)
- if you use any of the shared file pointer operations
- if you use any of the ordered mode collective operations

you've turned off data sieving writes, which is what I would have first guessed would trigger this lock message. So I guess you are hitting one of the other cases.

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Lab, IL USA