Just sniffing around the web, I found that this is a problem caused by newer
versions of gcc. One reporter stated that they resolved the problem by adding
"-fgnu89-inline" to their configuration:

"add the compiler flag "-fgnu89-inline" (because of an issue where old glibc
libraries aren't compatible with "the c99 standard"). I added the compilation
flag (adding it just after the "-std=gnu99" option) and the compilation errors
went away."