Sorry, Gilles, you might be wrong:

The error occurs also with gfortran-4.9.1, when running my small shared memory
testprogram:

This is the answer of the linker with gfortran-4.9.1 :
     sharedmemtest.f90:(.text+0x1145): undefined reference to `mpi_sizeof0di4_'

and this is the answer with intel-14.0.4:
    sharedmemtest.f90:(.text+0x11c3): undefined reference to `mpi_sizeof0di4_'

If openmpi  actually provides a module file   mpi.mod,  that was  precompiled
by openmpi for a certain Fortran compiler,
then the whole installation of openmpi on a User machine from the
openmpi-sourcecode for a User chosen Ftn-compiler would be a farce.
The module file  mpi.mod  must be either generated during the installation
process of openmpi on the User-machine for the User chosen Ftn-compiler,
or alternatively Openmpi must provide the module not by a  mpi.mod file,  but a
mpi.f90 file.  MS-MPI does it that way.
In my opinion, providing a  mpi.f90  file is indeed  better than providing an
mpi.mod file, because the User can look inside the module
and can directly see, if something is missing or possibly wrongly coded.

Greetings
  Michael Rachner