I’m trying to grok the problem, so bear with me a bit. It sounds like you have
a machine with 12 physical cores, each with two hyperthreads, and you have HT
turned on - correct?

If that is true, then the problem is that you are attempting to bind-to core
(of which you have 12), but asking for 2 cpus/proc. Since you haven’t told us
to use HTs as cpus, we are using “cores” as cpus - so this cmd is actually
asking us to bind each process to 2 cores, resulting in an overload.

So you have two options:

* remove the cpus-per-proc directive. Since you are binding to core, we will
automatically bind each process to both HTs in the core, which is the result
you want

* add the —use-hwthread-cpus flag and change your binding request to
“hwthread". This will treat each HT as a separate cpu, and we will bind each
process to 2 HTs, effectively binding them to the core.

The revised manpage that hopefully helps explain this better is in the upcoming
1.8.4 release. I’m also working on a page for the web site to better explain
the new map/rank/bind system.

HTH
Ralph