If you are using instance types that support SR-IOV (aka. "enhanced
networking" in AWS), then turn it on. We saw huge differences when SR-IOV
is enabled

http://blogs.scalablelogic.com/2013/12/enhanced-networking-in-aws-cloud.html
http://blogs.scalablelogic.com/2014/01/enhanced-networking-in-aws-cloud-part-2.html

Make sure you start your instances with a placement group -- otherwise, the
instances can be data centers apart!

And check that jumbo frames are enabled properly:

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/network_mtu.html

But still, it is interesting that Intel MPI is getting a 2X speedup with
the same setup! Can you post the raw numbers so that we can take a deeper
look??

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html