On Mar 19, 2016, at 11:53 AM, dpchoudh . <dpcho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Why 'self' needs to be explicitly mentioned when using the BTL
> communication? Since it must always be there for MPI communication to work,
> should it not be implicit? I am sure there is some architectural rationale
> behind this; could someone please elaborate?

The original intent: it's actually meant to be a BTL, just like any other.  In
that sense, if you list an "include" list of BTLs, it needs to be listed --
just like any other.

That being said, you're right -- it *is* a little silly these days to have to
explicitly list "self" because no other component has ever replaced it for
process-loopback communication.  It might not be too hard to update
mca_btl_base_select() to automatically add "self" to the "include" list, if it
wasn't explicitly mentioned...?

Want to submit a PR? :-)

> 2. Why is this (using 'self') not needed when using MTL communication?

BTLs and MTLs are exclusive.  Specifically, see
https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/blob/master/README#L590-L628.

> 3. Is it possible to mix BTL and MTL on a single OMPI job?

By design, no.

The cm PML was designed to select exactly one MTL for use, as opposed to the
ob1 PML, which was designed to select multiple BTLs for use.