On Sep 1, 2016, at 2:05 PM, Sean Ahern <s...@ensight.com> wrote:

> In actuality, I stored off the source in our "third party" repo before I
> built it.
>
> svn add openmpi-2.0.0
> svn commit
>
> When I grabbed that source back on the machine I wanted to build on, the
> relative timestamps weren't the same as what I would have gotten with a
> simple untar.

Ah yes, this will definitely be the cause.

The tarball is very carefully constructed to untar the files in a very specific
order (i.e., the files are inserted in the tarball in the reverse order of
timestamps which Automake needs), but when you put the tarball contents into a
VCS, that ordering is not preserved.  Things go downhill from there.

FWIW, we usually store the tarballs themselves in VCSs if we want to preserve
specific third-party tarballs.  It's a little gross (i.e., storing a big binary
tarball in a VCS), but it works.  Depends on your tolerance level for "ick" in
a VCS.  :-)

For corporate legal information go to: