Rick,

In my understanding, sensorgroup is a group with only task 1
Consequently, sensorComm is
- similar to MPI_COMM_SELF on task 1
- MPI_COMM_NULL on other tasks, and hence the barrier fails

I suggest you double check sensorgroup is never MPI_GROUP_EMPTY
and add a test not to call MPI_Barrier on MPI_COMM_NULL

Makes sense ?

Cheers,

Gilles