To close the thread here… I got the following information:

Looking at SLURM_CPU_BIND is the right idea, but there are quite a few more
options. It misses map_cpu, rank, plus the NUMA-based options:

rank_ldom, map_ldom, and mask_ldom. See the srun man pages for documentation.

From: Riebs, Andy
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2016 1:53 PM
To: users@lists.open-mpi.org
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Slurm binding not propagated to MPI jobs

Hi Ralph,

I haven't played around in this code, so I'll flip the question over to the
Slurm list, and report back here when I learn anything.
Cheers
Andy
On 10/27/2016 01:44 PM, r...@open-mpi.org<mailto:r...@open-mpi.org> wrote:
Sigh - of course it wouldn’t be simple :-(

All right, let’s suppose we look for SLURM_CPU_BIND:

* if it includes the word “none”, then we know the user specified that they
don’t want us to bind

* if it includes the word mask_cpu, then we have to check the value of that
option.

* If it is all F’s, then they didn’t specify a binding and we should do our
thing.

* If it is anything else, then we assume they _did_ specify a binding, and we
leave it alone

Would that make sense? Is there anything else that could be in that envar which
would trip us up?

On Oct 27, 2016, at 10:37 AM, Andy Riebs