I'm still working to get a clear confirmation of what is printing this error message and since when.

However, running strings, I could only find this string in /usr/lib/libnvidia-ml.so, which comes with the CUDA driver, so it should not be related to the CUDA runtime version ... but again, until I find the code responsible for that, I can't say for sure.

I'm sorry it's taking so long -- I'm on it though.

On 03/24/2017 01:56 PM, Roland Fehrenbacher wrote:
"SJ" == Sylvain Jeaugey <sjeau...@nvidia.com> writes:
Hi Sylvain,

     SJ> Hi Roland, I can't find this message in the Open MPI source
     SJ> code. Could it be hwloc ? Some other library you are using ?

after a longer detour about the suspicion it might have something to do
with nvml support of hwloc, I now found that a change in libcudart
between 7.5 and 8.0 is the cause of the messages appearing now. Our
earlier 1.8 version was built against CUDA 7.5 and didn't show the
problem, but a 1.8 version built against CUDA 8 shows the same problem
as 2.0.2 built against CUDA 8. Do you think you could ask your team
members at Nvidia how this new behaviour in libcudart can be suppressed?

BTW: Disabling nvml support for the internal hwloc has the effect that
OpenMPI doesn't link in libnvidia-ml.so.x anymore, but has no effect on
the messages.

Thanks,

Roland

     SJ> On 03/16/2017 04:23 AM, Roland Fehrenbacher wrote:
     >> Hi,
     >>
     >> OpenMPI 2.0.2 built with cuda support brings up lots of warnings
     >> like
     >>
     >> NVIDIA: no NVIDIA devices found
     >>
     >> when running on HW without Nvidia devices. Is there a way to
     >> suppress these warnings? It would be quite a hassle to maintain
     >> different OpenMPI builds on clusters with just some GPU machines.

contain
confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by