Gary,

one option (as mentioned in the error message) is to configure Open MPI with --enable-orterun-prefix-by-default.

this will force the build process to use rpath, so you do not have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH

this is the easiest option, but cannot be used if you plan to relocate the Open MPI installation directory.

an other option is to use a wrapper for orted.

mpirun --mca orte_launch_agent /.../myorted ...

where myorted is a script that looks like

#!/bin/sh

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=...

exec /.../bin/orted "$@"

you can make this setting system-wide by adding the following line to /.../etc/openmpi-mca-params.conf

orte_launch_agent = /.../myorted

Cheers,

Gilles