Dave,

the builtin memchecker can detect MPI usage errors such as modifying
the buffer passed to MPI_Isend() before the request completes

all the extra work is protected
if ( running_under_valgrind() ) {
   extra_checks();
}

so if you are not running under valgrind, the overhead should be unnoticeable

Cheers,

Gilles