Hi all,

  We're testing a model on AWS using C4/C5 nodes and some of our timers, in
a part of the code with no communication, show really poor performance
compared to native runs.  We think this is because we're not binding to a
core properly and thus not caching, and a quick 'mpirun --bind-to core
hostname' does suggest issues with this on AWS:

*[bdobbins@head run]$ mpirun --bind-to core hostname*
*WARNING: a request was made to bind a process. While the system*
*supports binding the process itself, at least one node does NOT*
*support binding memory to the process location.*

*  Node:  head*

*Open MPI uses the "hwloc" library to perform process and memory*
*binding. This error message means that hwloc has indicated that*
*processor binding support is not available on this machine.*

  (It also happens on compute nodes, and with real executables.)

  Does anyone know how to enforce binding to cores on AWS instances?  Any
insight would be great.

  Thanks,
  - Brian