See https://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=tuning#setting-mca-params for a
little more info on how to set MCA params.

In terms of physical vs. logical -- are you talking about hyperthreading?

If so, Open MPI uses the number of *cores* (by default), because that's what
"most" HPC users want (I put "most" in quotes because this can quickly turn
into a religious debate -- the "cores vs. hyperthreads" discussion has come up
on this list a few times over the years, and "most" HPC-related workloads still
tend to benefit from using a whole core vs. a hyperthread).

Regardless, you can have Open MPI use hyperthreads by default (instead of
cores) with the mpirun option --use-hwthread-cpus.