Adam,

by default, when more than 64 hosts are involved, mpirun uses a tree
spawn in order to remote launch the orted daemons.

That means you have two options here :
 - allow all compute nodes to ssh each other (e.g. the ssh private key
of *all* the nodes should be in *all* the authorized_keys
 - do not use a tree spawn (e.g. mpirun --mca plm_rsh_no_tree_spawn true ...)

I recommend the first option, otherwise mpirun would fork&exec a large
number of ssh processes and  hence use quite a lot of
resources on the node running mpirun.

Cheers,

Gilles