I suspect the OOB is working just fine and you are seeing the TCP/btl opening
the other ports. There are two TCP elements at work here: the OOB (which sends
management messages between daemons) and the BTL (which handles the MPI
traffic). In addition to what you provided, you also need to provide the
following params:

btl_tcp_port_range_v4: The number of ports where the TCP BTL will try to bind.
              This parameter together with the port min, define a range of ports
              where Open MPI will open sockets

btl_tcp_port_min_v4: starting port to use

I can’t answer the question about #ports to open - will have to leave that to
someone else
Ralph