On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 09:17:00 +0100
Lothar Brendel <lothar.bren...@uni-due.de> wrote:

[...]

> looking into orte/mca/ras/slurm/ras_slurm_module.c, I find that while
> orte_ras_slurm_allocate() reads the value of SLURM_CPUS_PER_TASK into its
> local variable cpus_per_task, it doesn't use it anywhere. Rather, the number
> of slots is determined from SLURM_TASKS_PER_NODE.
>
> Is this intended behaviour?
>
> What's wrong here? I know that I can use --oversubscribe, but that seems
> rather a workaround.

I was wrong. OpenMPI has *always* ignored the value of SLURM_CPUS_PER_TASK and
does so in 4.0.0. Only the default behaviour wrt oversubscribing has changed:
Before version 2 you had to deny it explicitly via "--nooversubscribe", since
version 2 you have to allow it explicitly via "--oversubscribe", cf. also

Hence, I've been oversubscribing all these years; oh my.

Ciao
        Lothar