This case is actually quite small - 10 physical machines with 18 physical
cores each, 1 rank per machine.  These are AWS R4 instances (Intel Xeon E5
Broadwell processors).  OpenMPI version 2.1.0, using TCP (10 Gbps).

I calculate the memory needs of my application upfront (in this case ~225
GB per machine), allocate one buffer upfront, and reuse this buffer for
valid and scratch throughout processing.  This is running on RHEL 7 - I'm
measuring memory usage via top where I see it go up to 248 GB in an
MPI-intensive portion of processing.

I thought I was being quite careful with my memory allocations and there
weren't any other stray allocations going on, but of course it's possible
there's a large temp buffer somewhere that I've missed... based on what
you're saying, this is way more memory than should be attributed to OpenMPI
- is there a way I can query OpenMPI to confirm that?  If the OS is unable
to keep up with the network traffic, is it possible there's some low-level
system buffer that gets allocated to gradually work off the TCP traffic?

Thanks.