Hi
this is steven. I am building custom clusters on AWS Ec2 and had some
problems in the past. I am getting good result with external pmix 3.1.3
./autogen.sh && ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ --with-platform=optimized
--with-hwloc=/usr/local --with-libevent=/usr/local --enable-pmix-binaries
 --enable-pmi-backward-compatibility
make -j4 && sudo make install
and ompenmpi 4.0.1
./autogen.pl && ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-slurm
--with-pmix=/usr/local --enable-mpi1-compatibility
--with-libevent=/usr/local --with-hwloc=/usr/local

making certain linking against the same libevent
This is on linux most recent custom kernel, and most recent SLURM scheduler.
best:
steve