You can start with the recent talks given by Jeff Squyres and Ralph
Castain for Easybuild

EasyBuild Tech Talk I - The ABCs of Open MPI, part 1 (by Jeff Squyres
& Ralph Castain)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpVbcYnFJmQ

(there are three parts)

Then the source code and interacting with the developers via github
and/or the devel mailing list

Cheers,

Gilles