On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 11:21 AM Gus Correa via users <
users@lists.open-mpi.org> wrote:

> "The reports of MPI death are greatly exaggerated." [Mark Twain]
>
> And so are the reports of Fortran death
> (despite the efforts of many CS departments
> to make their students Fortran- and C-illiterate).
>
> IMHO the level of abstraction of MPI is adequate, and actually very well
> designed.
> Higher levels often make things too specific, less applicable to generic
> code,
> while dispersing into a plethora of niche libraries and modules
> that are bound to become unmaintained, buggy, and obsolete.
> (Where Python seems to be headed, following Perl.)
>
> How many people speak Chinese?
> How many people speak English?
> How many people speak Spanish?
> How many people speak Esperanto?

If you re-read my post, I did say I was curious about choices, with
C/C++/Fortran being some of thoise choices, not going away. I grew up on a
Commodore 64 so I have covered the whole stack of programming, from asm to
C to C++ to Java to Scala... Every situation is different and sometimes
being at the low level, controlling everything is exactly what you need.
Sometimes, it is not at all what you need and you wish you had a better way
of expressing things. That's what I think choices are all about :-)

Thank you for the reply!