Dave,

On 1/19/2021 2:13 AM, Dave Love via users wrote:

Generally it's not surprising if there's a shortage
of effort when outside contributions seem unwelcome.  I've tried to
contribute several times.  The final attempt wasted two or three days,
after being encouraged to get the port of current romio into a decent
state when it was being done separately "behind the scenes", but that
hasn't been released.

External contributions are not only welcome, they are encouraged.

All Pull Requests will be considered for inclusion upstream

(as long as the commits are properly signed-off).

You could not be more wrong on that part, and since you chose to bring your this to the public mailing list,

let me recap the facts:

ROMIO is refreshed when needed (and time allows it)

All code changes are coming from public Pull Requests.

For example :

 - ROMIO 3.3.2 refresh (https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/pull/8249 - issued on November 24th 2020)

 - ROMIO 3.4b1 refresh (https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/pull/8279 - issued December 10th 2020)

 - ROMIO 3.4 refresh (https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/pull/8343 - January 6th 2021)

On the other hand, this is what you did:

on December 2nd you wrote to the ML:

In the meantime I've hacked in romio from mpich-4.3b1 without really
understanding what I'm doing;
and finally  posted a link to your code on December 11th (and detailed a shortcut you took), before deleting your repository (!) around December 16th.

Unless I missed it, you never issued a Pull Request.

</facts>

It took some time to figure out upstream ROMIO 3.3.2 did not pass the HDF5 test on Lustre,

and a newer ROMIO (3.4b1 at that time, 3.4 now) had to be used in order to fix the issue on the long term.

All the heavy lifting was already done in #8249, very likely before you even start hacking, and moving to 3.4b1

and 3.4 was then  very straightforward.

ROMIO 3.4 refresh will be merged in the master branch once properly tested and reviewed, and the goal

is to have this available in Open MPI 5.

ROMIO fixes will be applied to the release branches (and they are available at https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/pull/8371)

once tested and reviewed.

Bottom line, your "hack" is the only one that was actually done behind the scene,

and has returned there since.

All pull requests are welcome, with- as far as I am concerned - the following caveat (besided signed-off commits):

Open MPI is a meritocracy.

If you had issued a proper PR (you did not, but chose to post a - now broken - link to your code instead),

it would likely have been rejected based on its (lack of) merits.

There are many ways to contribute to Open MPI, and in this case, testing/discussing the Pull Requests/Issues on github

would have been (and will be) very helpful to the Open MPI community.

On the contrary, ranting and bragging on a public ML are - in my not so humble opinion - counter productive, but I have a pretty high threshold

for this kind of BS. However, I have a much lower threshold for your gross mischaracterization of the Open MPI community, its values, and how the work gets done.

Cheers,

Gilles