You need a way for your process to exchange information so MPI_Init()
can work.

One option is to have your custom launcher implement a PMIx server

https://pmix.github.io

If you choose this path, you will likely want to use the Open PMIx
reference implementation

https://openpmix.github.io

so your custom launcher would "only" have to implement a limited number
of callbacks.

Cheers,

Gilles