On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 9:01 PM George Bosilca <bosi...@icl.utk.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 6:33 PM Neil Carlson via users <
> users@lists.open-mpi.org> wrote:
>
>> 1. Where can I use this communicator?  Can it be used with  the usual
>> stuff like MPI_Allgather, or do I need to hang onto the original
>> communicator (MPI_COMM_WORLD actually) for that purpose?
>>

> Anywhere a communicator is used. You just have to be careful and
> understand what is the scope of the communication you use them with.

Ah! I was thinking that this graph topology information might only be
relevant to MPI_Neighbor collectives. But would it be proper then to think
of a communicator having an implicit totally-connected graph topology that
is replaced by this one? If so would Bcast, for example, only send from the
root rank to those it was a source for in the graph topology? Or Gather on
a rank only receive values from those ranks that were a source for it? What
would the difference be then between Alltoallv, say, and Neighbor_alltoallv?