Lucas,

the number of MPI tasks started by mpirun is either
 - explicitly passed via the command line (e.g. mpirun -np 2306 ...)
 - equals to the number of available slots, and this value is either
     a) retrieved from the resource manager (such as a SLURM allocation)
     b) explicitly set in a machine file (e.g. mpirun -machinefile
<machinefile> ...) or the command line
         (e.g. mpirun --hosts host0:96,host1:96 ...)
     c) if none of the above is set, the number of detected cores on the
system

Cheers,

Gilles