Hi,

I have been trying to install OpenMPI v4.1.4 on a university HPC cluster.
We use the Bright cluster manager and have SLURM v21.08.8 and RHEL 8.6. I
used a script to install OpenMPI that a former co-worker had used to
successfully install OpenMPI v3.0.0 previously. I updated it to include new
versions of the dependencies and new paths to those installs.

Each time, it fails in the *make install *step. There is a fatal error
about finding pmi.h. It specifically says:

make[2]: Entering directory
'/shared/maylab/src/openmpi-4.1.4/opal/mca/pmix/s1'
  CC       libmca_pmix_s1_la-pmix_s1_component.lo
  CC       libmca_pmix_s1_la-pmix_s1.lo
pmix_s1.c:29:10: fatal error: pmi.h: No such file or directory
   29 | #include <pmi.h>

I've looked through the archives and seen others face similar errors in
years past but I couldn't understand the solutions. One person suggested
that SLURM may be missing PMI libraries. I think I've verified that SLURM
has PMI. I include paths to those files and it seems to find them earlier
in the process.

I'm not sure what the next step is in troubleshooting this. I have included
a bz2 file containing my install script, a log file containing the script
output (from build, make, make install), the config.log, and the
opal_config.h file. If anyone could provide any guidance, I'd  sincerely
appreciate it.

Best,
JD