>The documentation seems to suggest that the TOR Services Node requires VXLAN
>encapsulation in order
> to support baremetal hosts. Am I reading that right? We’re looking at
> contrail now, and the best information seems
> to suggest that VXLAN encapsulation halves the effective line rate of your
> hosts, so I’d prefer to go with MPLS/GRE.

I have no actual experience with integrating baremetal except for a POC setup
some time ago, however:
AFAIK
* You configure contrail in what order encapsulation should be done.
That means it will switch between the lowest common denominator.
So any traffic going to bare-metal will indeed be vxlan based. However, traffic
between vrouters will still be MPLS over GRE/UDP
Depending on how many bare-metal hosts you think you will integrate it might
not affect too much traffic.
* I do not think the VXLAN protocol impact is as significant as you mentioned.
BUM traffic will be handled less elegant but I am not aware of it impacting raw
traffic speeds to such a high degree.
If that is the case I would certainly like to know more about why that would
happen.

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen