Hello,

Even if the VM's wont get the IP's form OpenNebula the MAC address
must be generated. Internally MAC addresses are tied to Virtual
Network leases so a place in a Virtual Network is needed. Just add a
class B or C network and everything should work ok.

You can also manually generate the mac addresses and you wont need the
Virtual Network, in VM template:

NIC=[MAC="00:02:01:23:45:67", IP="10.0.0.1", BRIDGE="br0"]

But this is more cumbersome as you will need to manually generate
different mac addresses for every interface.

Bye

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Shantanu Pavgi <pa...@uab.edu> wrote:

> I am not following how OpenNebula handles network configuration for the VMs.
> I am trying to create a virtual network using network config file as follows:
> {{{
> NAME = "Test Network"
> TYPE = RANGED
> BRIDGE = br0
> PUBLIC=" yes"
> }}}
>
> In my test setup I have a DHCP server for IP address assignment. So I did not
> put NETWORK_ADDRESS and NETWORK_SIZE values, thinking OpenNebula doesn't need
> to know about it. However I got following error upon 'onvnet create' command.
>
> {{{
> [VirtualNetworkAllocate] Error allocating a new virtual network. No
> NETWORK_ADDRESS in template for Virtual Network.
> }}}
>
> I am not sure what values should I provide in a network definition file if IP
> address and MAC address assignment is not going to be handled by OpenNebula.
> How does OpenNebula use NETWORK_ADDRESS and NETWORK_SIZE values during VM
> deployment?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Shantanu