Ceph's RBD Format 2 images support the copy-on-write clones/snapshots for quick
provisioning, where essentially the following happens:

Snapshot of Image created --> Snapshot protected from deletion --> Clone image
created from snapshot

The protected snapshot acts as a base image for the clone, where only the
additional data is stored in the clone. See more here:
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd-snapshot/#layering

For our environment here I have modified the included datastore/tm drivers for
Ceph to take advantage of these format 2 images/layering for Non-Persistent
images. It works rather well, and all image functions work appropriately for
non-persistent images (save as, etc.). One note/requirement is to be using a
newer Ceph release (recommend Dumpling or newer) and newer versions of
QEMU/Libvirt (there were some bugs in older releases, but the versions from
Ubuntu Cloud Archive for 12.04 work fine). I did submit them for improvement
prior to the 4.0 release, but the simple format 1 images are the default
currently for OpenNebula.

I think this would be a good question for the developers. Would creating the
option for Format 2 images (either in the image template as a parameter or on
the Datastore as a configuration attribute) and then developing the DS/TM
drivers further to accommodate this option be worth the effort? I can see use
cases for both (separate images vs. cloned images having to rely on the base
image), but cloned images are WAY faster to deploy.

I have the basic code for format 2 images, I think the logic for looking up the
parameter/attribute and then applying appropriate action should be rather
simple. Could collaborate/share if you'd like.