NFS mounts can be mounted directly into pods without being PVs like this:

  name: shared
    server: <server>
    path: <path>

If you are using NFS PVs, then the persistentVolumeReclaimPolicy
determines if the data is wiped when the PVC is released.  The default
value is "Retain".  It will not delete the data unless you set it to

Hope that answers your question!