Ahh Thanks, I wondered if there would be a side effect.

I discovered that the directory we're using, OpenDJ, has virtual
attributes, and one of those attributes is "isMemberOf", so I was able to
use:

url: ldap://
ldap.company.com.au:1389/ou=people,dc=company,dc=com,dc=au?uid?sub?(isMemberOf=cn=staff,ou=groups,dc=company,dc=com,dc=au)

And that worked like a charm. As manually provisioning users sounds like
way too much effort.