Hi Joel,

kubernetes is using the AWS inventory information directly as soon as it
detects the AWS cloud. Until now I did not find any solution to get to nice
hostnames.

Instead we label the "nice name" as "host" (oc label node .... host=abc)
and use "oc get node -L host" to get the names listed.

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to use the DNS hostname when deploying
> OpenShift on AWS using https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible-
> contrib/tree/master/reference-architecture/aws-ansible Currently it uses
> private dns name, eg, ip-10-2-7-121.ap-southeast-2.compute.internal but
> that isn't too useful a name for me.  I've managed to set the hostname on
> the ec2 instance properly but disabling the relevant cloud-init setting,
> but it still grabs the private dns name somehow.
>
> I tried adding "openshift_hostname" to be the same as "name" on this line:
> https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible-
> contrib/blob/master/reference-architecture/aws-ansible/
> playbooks/roles/instance-groups/tasks/main.yaml#L11
>
> Which did set the hostname in the node-config.yaml, but then when running
> "oc get nodes" it still returned the private dns name somehow, and
> installation failed waiting for the nodes to start properly, I guess a
> mismatch between node names somewhere.
>
> I found an old github issue, but it's all referring to files in ansible
> that exist no longer:
> https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible/issues/1170
>
> Even on OpenShift Online Starter, they're using the default ec2 names,
> eg: ip-172-31-28-11.ca-central-1.compute.internal, which isn't a good
> sign I guess.
>
> Has anyone successfully used a DNS name for OpenShift on AWS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joel

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards,

Roland T. Lichti

Red Hat Ambassador | Senior Middleware Consultant

Red Hat GmbH

Technopark II

Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, 85630 Grasbrunn

rlic...@redhat.com     M: +49-172-6328604

www.redhat.com | TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. | redhat.com/trusted