Is there a way to implement some sort of git cache when building images?

When working locally (via minishift), on some of our projects the `git
clone` step of the build takes quite a while, especially over slow
links. This is compounded by the fact that we're using build chaining, a
"builder" image and a "runtime" Image, for which the Dockerfiles live in
the repo, and thus the repo gets cloned twice.

Thus it would be beneficial if there were some way to reduce the amount
of network traffic between openshift and the git repo.
If there were some way that openshift would use a persistent volume for
the repo, and perform a git fetch/pull instead of a full clone, then
that would work. Alternatively would be utilizing some sort of git
caching proxy. But not sure what options exist here.

Any suggestions on how to address the issue?

-Patrick