Hi Tim,

Answers inline.

On 8 June 2018 at 23:00, Tim Dudgeon <tdudgeon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The docs for installing a high availability openshift cluster e.g. [1] are
> fairly clear when it comes to the master node. If you set up a 3 masters
> then you need a load balancer that sits in front of these. OpenShift can
> provide this or you can provide your own external one.
>
> What not so clear is how to handle the nodes where the infrastructure
> components (registry and router) get deployed. In a typical example you
> would have 2 of these nodes, but what would happen in this case?
>
> I presume you are still openstack? Here is the OpenStack reference
architecture for Openshift:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/reference_architectures/2018/html/deploying_and_managing_openshift_3.9_on_red_hat_openstack_platform_10/reference_architecture_summary

Normally you have 3 infra nodes with 3 router replicas with 1 load balancer
in front.

> Does a single registry and router get deployed to one of those nodes (in
> which case it would be difficult to set up DNS for the router to point to
> the right one).
>
> You simply point the DNS at the load balancer in front of the infra
nodes.  In the AWS reference architecture I run 3 registries, but they're
backed by S3, so it depends on the backing store for the registry I guess.
But it doesn't matter if you run 1 registry or 3, as long as the traffic
comes in via the load balancer, the OpenShift Routers will figure out where
the registries are running.

Or does the router get deployed to both so a load balancer is needed in
> front of these?

Yes, routers should be deployed on all infra nodes with a load balancer in
front.

> And similarly for the registry. Is there one or two of these deployed? How
> does this work?

As mentioned above, it doesn't matter how many registries, but for ha you
could have as many as the number of infra nodes, provided the backend for
your registry allows multiple replicas.

> I hope someone can clarify this.
> Tim
>
> [1] https://docs.openshift.org/latest/install_config/install/adv
> anced_install.html#multiple-masters

Kind Regards,

Joel Pearson
Agile Digital | Senior Software Consultant

[=Love Your Softwareâ„¢ | ABN 98 106 361 273
p: 1300 858 277 |  w: agiledigital.com.au